Sunday, November 30, 2008

Home Three.

They returned home yesterday. Arrived about 1730. I was so glad to see them. I was so glad to hug the baby girls. I was so glad to hug my wife.

They had a good time. They went to The City on Friday as planned. Family members in Jersey insisted that they take the bus and the subway to avoid traffic and parking. Traffic and parking on a Friday in November in Chinatown?

They should have driven in. They should have taken the Holland Tunnel. They would have been in Chinatown from the grandfather's house in about twenty or thirty minutes. They probably wasted two hours with the bus and The Port Authority. Time that could have been spent enjoying Downtown.

The younger baby girl was exposed to some not so nice stuff on the subway. That makes me mad. They missed the bus on the way back out. They had to wait over an hour for the next bus. The whole thing was stupid and if I'd been there it would not have happened. My wife said they walked passed dozens of open parking spots right on the street. I said I know.

The bus and the trains are great, sometimes. Sometimes it's just better to drive.
My wife did not need to be running to try to catch a bus while keeping a close eye on the younger baby girl. The older baby girl too, but she's a little more street smart. She's just been around longer. My wife is recovering from chemo. She's been in better shape. It just makes me mad. People don't think sometimes.

On the subway they had crazy junkies and street people doin' the panhandle thing. I would have made them go away.

I remember this one time, before I met my wife. A bunch of us cops were going to Yankee Stadium. We were all in this old van that one of the guys had. So we were up in the Bronx stuck in traffic. These street thugs were harassing the motorists, looking for handouts. I'm not talking about homeless people or cripples, the kind of folks you want to help out. I'm talkin' about street thugs. Young guys taking advantage of the situation to intimidate those stalled in traffic.

As the group of six punks approached us we were ready for them. As soon as they banged on the passenger side of the van, the sliding door flew open and four of us stuck guns in their faces. You want to see six assholes go from "bad" to "oh shit" in about two seconds. None of us had our badges out. Just pistols as we jumped out of the van to confront the assholes. They backed away rather quickly. A couple of them had hands in the air as they turned on their heels and literally ran back down the block. The car behind us honked their horn and applauded. The woman in the passenger seat yelling thanks as we stuffed our sidearms back under our shirts.

So we hung out for a few minutes on the sidewalk 'til the traffic started moving again. Those guys didn't come back.

7 Comments:

Blogger fishy said...

Glad you got your girls back safe and sound. I find your absolute confidence the difficulties of the girls trip would not have happened had you been there....endearing.

Over at our pond,
Blowfish always, always, always believes no bad thing can happen to Mermaid and me if he is present. I am always glad too because if they DID happen when he was present how would he feel?

7:23 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

I like the pause........endearing.
Laughing as I read your comment. I guess guys like Blowfish and me, well we just can't see things any other way. I'm thinking I'd probably like your Blowfish. I'm thinking he's probably a good guy.

10:36 AM  
Blogger whatnext said...

OK. So I have to admit that I dream about doing the pull-out-a gun-and-point-it-in-some-deserving-face thing. Must be fun to have done it in real life.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

I suppose, in retrospect, you could say it was fun. At the time it was just doing the job. Being a cop. It's an odd way to live, when things like pointing a weapon at someone is just part of your day.
Having said that Okay, I know you would have enjoyed yourself. You would have been a good cop.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Your story answers the question: Where's a cop when you need one? You clearly couldn't do that with badges revealed or you would have ended up in lawsuit.

During a visit to New Orleans, I was accosted by a group of males in late teens who swarmed my sandals with dirty rags and demanded money for "polishing" my shoes. I'm glad I didn't have much in my pocket as I threw it at the sidewalk to make them go away.

But I wish I'd had the quick thinking and reflexes to kick their heads in while they attacked my shoes.

I'm sorry your family had such a rough time in the city. Living in a suburb, I use public trans to get in and out during the work week (easier & cheaper), but it's always better to drive in on weekends.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Well JM. That's exactly why badges are not shown. Badges have numbers on them.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey JM. Wow. how cool is that? I had no idea. Guess you really do understand. My statement was too incredibly obvious.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home