Sunday, November 16, 2008

"I'd Like To Go For A Walk".

So it turns out that his turn for the worse was not. The abdominal pain that the docs said was cancer returning was caused by a urinary tract infection. It was the sudden high fever and some other stuff that gave them the clue. It was a hospice nurse who put two and two together. She came up with four. The docs sum total was five. The docs were wrong.

So my father was not standing with one foot on the banana peel. He is up and moving about for a few hours each day. He is talking politics. He is driving my mother crazy because he can't stand not being in charge anymore. He is on his way out. He is under hospice care. The massive doses of antibiotics just bought him some more time. He's digging that.

He's kind of like the old guy in Monty Python's Holy Grail. The one they want to put on the cart while he's still alive. The only difference is this. My father is holding the club.

Hey Tommy. It's been a while. Man what a couple of weeks I've had. I saw an elk the other day. Up on route 255 near the 555 split in Elk County, go figure. This big guy was munching on foliage by the side of the road. Steam would snort from his nostrils with each breath. It was kind of early, like 0630. I slowed down to get a look at him. The Jake Brake in my truck was doing it's thing, making that noise that it makes. That elk just looked over at my passing big truck with no interest at all. I have to find out how these elk ended up here in Pennsylvania.
I don't think their from here originally.

Hey Tommy. I just looked it up. As far as I can tell the elk are from here. Elk County is the only place any of them are left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home