Sunday, September 24, 2006

Back to Basics.

So that Cool Old Man was not able to establish his wireless connection yet, he's going this Tuesday to secure same. Spoke to him earlier today, he sounds good, going out to see him as soon as he's hooked up. My wife got a new job, she starts next Monday. She will still be working overnights, but now she'll be off every weekend. Sunday night at midnight 'til Friday morning at eight. She'll start at a dollar an hour more than she gets now, after ninety days she's eligible for the 401k and other benefits. She's going to miss the residents at the care home but she's leaving on a good note, she'll be able to stop by and visit them. I'll still be able to go hang out with the Cool Old Man. Got my old Beemer back, runs good. Got a couple little things to iron out, she passed inspection.

Yesterday morning my wife was making breakfast. She was up 'cause she worked all night. She hears something on the radio, something about an insect festival at the State University. She wakes me up and we were off and running. Our younger daughter digs that kind of thing, the teen does not. The three of us went, packed a lunch and the camera. Took the scenic route, pretty drive.

They had college students dressed up like bugs, they had face painting and a talking car. The talking car was a '60 something VW Beetle (go figure) painted like a Ladybug. Little kids could ask it questions about insects and the car would answer. Our daughter noticed the tent behind the car, she figured it out. She got her face painted like a Monarch butterfly, the kid that did that was great. He's sitting there looking all like an art student is supposed to look, sandals and everything. He could not have been nicer, she was the last kid to get her face painted, he was almost out of supplies but it didn't matter. He made her feel good about herself, all the student volunteers did. It warms your heart when see these young adults interacting with kids in such a positive way. Our younger daughter is ten, almost eleven. Her big sister is just short of eighteen, it's hard on the little one sometimes. Same old sibling story, feels left out and all that stuff. Not saying that the older one is not a good big sister 'cause she is. She goes far above and beyond the call for her baby sister, they spend a lot of time together, they are very close. It's just that, well you know what I'm saying. Being the youngest is not always easy, so it was nice for my wife and I to fuss over just her for the day.

So these college kids and bug people, what a bunch. The college kids were great, like I was saying. The bug people however, well they were all great, but they are a little different. I was amazed at how much our little girl knew about insects, she's into that sort of thing. I had a very large South American roach running up and down my arm, it was really a handsome bug. They had edible insects at one station, I passed on that. I didn't want to ruin my appetite. We took part in cockroach races, we saw the biggest friggin' millipede on the planet too. That kind of freaked me out, it looked too much like a snake for my liking. I'm scared of snakes, scream like a little girl and run. Man, we really had a great day, had no idea that bugs could be so much fun.

Hey Tommy, you should see this grasshopper magnet we got there. It only cost two bucks, the thing looks real. It's hangin' out on the fridge right now, very cool indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home