Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's Not a Tumor.

It was raining Friday night, I stood on a gray wooden landing over a flight of gray wooden stairs just off the dock. I flicked my smoked all the way to the filter but still burning cigarette into a puddle that lay just outside the overhang. I watched as the water overtook the ember, the last wisp of blue smoke curled up and back towards me. It seemed like, what felt like at that moment, my relationship with my wife.

We had argued the night before. Not so much argued, I listened to her voice opinions, her opinions about me. My behavior lately has been less than exemplary. I've been slacking off, my responsibilities around the house. As she's been working overnights, I've been leaving a lot undone. I had it coming to me, deserved every comment, and she can comment. I have a history of slacking off, spent many years as a bachelor and I am by nature a lazy person. I will bust my ass at work, give it all I got to get the job done, but at home? I like to kick back and watch the grass grow, much to the neighborhood's collective chagrin. I like to write and goof out with the kids and pets, but sometimes the dishes need washin', you know?

Arguments are healthy, yeah, still waters run deep. I don't like arguments, never been comfortable with them. Grew up in an alcoholic household, loud was always bad. For me, fights always end badly, that's why a little thing can seem like the end of the world. It's all good now, got lots of stuff done today, shortened that to-do list by a hair.

Last night when I was at work, thinking the world was ending, she was here at home. Earlier in the day we gave the Mutt a marshmallow, it was funny watching him run away with it, then keep it away from the Shepherd. So we forgot all about it. Later in the evening my wife is petting him, having some one on one with the baby boy. He's only nine months old, did I mention that? Anyway she feels this lump behind his ear, she thinks oh no it can't be. She thinks please don't let this be a tumor. She investigates further, it's a white lump covered in his thick white fur. Please don't let it be some horrible growth, it wasn't. Yeah, you guessed it, the marshmallow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home