Friday, October 06, 2006

1981 BMW

So I got the old Beemer back on the road. She's a classic this year. I got her from a guy in Missouri, shortly after he sold me the car he got called back to active duty. He spent his second year in Iraq missing his wife and their one year old baby girl. She cried when he left, probably didn't know what was going on, she just knew everyone else was crying so she cried too. It's just sad. This guy served his country, left the army after eight years of active duty, like that's not enough, they call him back for more.

He bought the Beemer from a friend of his, dropped a new used motor in her and eventually sold her to me. He made money on the deal, I still got her cheap though. We have all the original paperwork, she was purchased new from a dealer in Myrtle Beach back in 1981. My daughter named her Myrtle. Everything has a name around here. Our old Jeep Cherokee came from a dealership in Philadelphia, hence the name Philly. I once had this old Dodge half ton cargo van. It had once been a delivery van for a local bakery and when the light was just right you could still see lettering where they had peeled off the decals that identified it as the bakery van. His name was Patty, not wagon either...... Patty cake patty cake bakers van..........

So I take Myrtle out for a spin, got her runnin' real smooth now. Man that old car drives nice, handles, you know? Got some old Springsteen on the radio, thinking about the guy I bought the car from. He really wanted to keep her. New baby, new house and the potential for some more active duty is what made him sell her. My wife and I have always said, if we ever hit the lottery or maybe I sell a book and make some money, (it could happen) then we'll have her restored top to bottom. Frame off restoration, new motor, the whole thing. We will put her in an enclosed car trailer and drive her back out to Missouri, give her back to the guy who sold her to us. Yeah, that would be cool. It's the least we could do if we had the chance. This guy didn't want to go to Iraq, he went anyway. An honorable man, duty first. Oh yeah, before he left for Iraq? He lost his civilian job, company moved the facility to Singapore...... God Bless America.

Hey Tommy, can you dig it bro? Wish you could see this car, maybe you can, I don't know. Yeah, this guy I got her from, he's an officer. He's a good guy Tommy, you'd like him. Catch you later bro. Got to get ready for work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home