Wednesday, November 01, 2006

E.R...and then some.

Yeah, so like I was sayin' the other day. I took a spill at work on Friday. Figured I was okay, 'til I woke up Saturday morning. Hot shower and I felt better. Saturday night, she takes me up to the E.R., just in case. Contusions on the ribs, stiff and sore as hell. Hurts when I cough, laugh, breathe. Not much they can do for busted ribs, gave me pain killers. I take it easy on Sunday, back to work Monday afternoon, only lasted two hours. So yesterday I call the boss, he tells me take the rest of the week, says "See you on Monday". She has me make a follow up visit with our doctor, just got back from that. It sucked. I'm going outside for a Coke and a smoke, finish this up when I get back.

Worker's Comp. Insurance pays for the E.R. visit, today's visit went on our own private insurance 'cause it's not really comp. related. When we went to the E.R. last Saturday night, this young E.R. doctor runs an EKG, he says just in case because I had pain in my chest. Of course I had pain in my chest, I busted a couple of ribs. Anyway, he just wants to make sure. I'm thinkin' he wants to play with the EKG machine, what the hell, I ain't payin' for it. So the EKG shows an abnormality, oh great. The young E.R. doctor, now he draws some blood, just to make sure. Blood work comes back, it's fine. So I leave with my pain killers, a prescription for more and one of those instruction sheets that you never look at anyway. So today I go to the doctor's office, they have a guy there who's like the guru of EKG's. He figures the abnormality is just that, but he wants to make sure. It could be that one side of my heart is bigger than the other, caused by high blood pressure. I did have high blood pressure once, years ago. When I got hurt real bad, when I was a cop, I gained a lot of weight just sittin' around doing nothing. I was at two-fifty at one point, that was years ago. I've since lost all that weight, now I only weigh ten pounds more than I did when I left the army. When I was that fat, my blood pressure was high. Once I lost the weight my blood pressure dropped back down to around 110/70, that's where it's been for most of my life.

So now I have to go to a cardiologist, have another test done also. Echocardiogram, that's the test I have to have done. They told me that it's probably nothing to worry about. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Truth is, I'm really not worried about it, more annoyed than anything. Well then, I have to take the Parrot out of his cage before he starts screaming and wakes up my wife. She missed out on some good sleep yesterday, Halloween and all that. She was tired when she left for work at 11:30 last night, she could barely keep her eyes open when she got home at 8:15 this morning.

One good thing, I got to go out with the kids Trick or Treatin' last night. Yeah, we had a good time. Everybody was out despite the light rain. It was warmer than usual, kids made out like bandits of course. My wife and I carried the umbrellas and an empty carton of eggs, but that's another story. We couldn't find his car anyway, must have parked it somewhere else 'cause he knew we were up to something. Oh well, always next year.

Tommy, yeah bro........Yes I will keep you informed........Thanks asshole........Yeah, so?.......I know I said that to you once. I said it 'cause I was tired of listenin' to you bitch about a friggin' blister on your foot.......Yeah, and what was your reply? What did you say when I said that the blister means your'e gonna die?........That's right man, you said the same thing......Yes you did!........
"Thanks asshole" is exactly what you said......... Oh, so now it's funny. You didn't think it was so funny when I said it..........What do you mean it's different?.........Hey, don't make me laugh bro, my ribs hurt......Knock it off Tommy........Asshole.......

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squarehead,
Once again I am blown away by your writing and the dripping realism it encompasses. Writing is a freedom I wouldn't give up for the world. It transcends all pain. Keep transcending.

Stay well my friend.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Thank you again Alexys, and I will.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Yikes.....won't tell you my story from SF. Let's just say, something happened while on the job and it took me a yr to get the help I needed. Was a racquet as the 1st Dr. I saw had a chair near the door when you came in. Not only did I have to wait an extra 1/2 hr after the appointed time, but as I walked in, he barked at me to sit in that seat near the door. 15 minutes I was out of there. Was told by the person I attempted to see as soon as the accident occurred, that if I'd seen him right away, I would not have residual problems, which I still have today (Thank You very much).
Anyway, Good Luck!!!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey thanks Coffee. Yeah, the old comp. scams abound, lots of docs out there just looking to pad their bills. That's one reason why I went to my own doctor for the follow up.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home