Friday, November 03, 2006

Farewell Sweet Skillet.....

Looks like I won't be returning to work for another week. I know I won't be healed up all the way by this coming Monday, oh well. Thinking a lot about this cardiologist thing, have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Still don't have an appointment for the Echocardiogram, have to call and check on that.

So last night she leaves for work at like 11:40, I take the dogs out for the last time. Break out the old cast iron skillet, a can of corn beef hash, some Virginia ham from the deli and four eggs. It's a lot I know. I cover the corn beef hash in shredded cheddar cheese after it sizzles for awhile. I push it over to one side and pile the ham on top after that sizzled for awhile. Four eggs over easy, slide it all out onto the plate with some ketchup on the side. I really don't eat like that very often. I'm afraid that once this cardiologist gets a hold of me I'll never be able to eat like that again. I love my big old cast iron skillet, got it seasoned real nice, lightly oil it after every washing. I know I don't have any cholestorol issues, had that checked a few times over the last five years. Like I said, B.P.'s always in the healthy range (except for those couple of years when I gained all that weight) and heart attack issues have never been a factor in my family tree.

So the doctor's office just called me back, I have another appointment on Monday morning at 0900. I'll find out about returning to work. This sucks. Doctors, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em............. Sometimes.

I don't want to write about this crap. Tried writing some other stuff in my dog eared old Marble Composition Book, it ain't happening.

Tuesday is election day, I'm voting, hope everyone else votes too. Got the weekend coming up here. Weekends sure ain't what they once were. She's going to Bingo with the girls from work, that's tonight. I'm going to ask the girls if I can have the living room to myself tonight, they got a TV upstairs. I really need to shut down for awhile, couch it with the clicker. Maybe some brain numbing TV is what I need.

I think I need to accept the fact that my relationship with that old cast iron skillet is changing. I'm not going to lose my skillet, but.......... We will never look at each other the same way again. Something has changed between us. It's not what the skillet and I said to each other, no it's not that at all. I mean last night the skillet sang the sizzling song of goodness just like always, I heard that song through different ears. I guess it's time to move on. I'm going to have to look elsewhere, I'm going to have to connect on a deeper level with the Lean Mean Grillin' Machine that sits on top of the cabinet. I hope the skillet understands, I need to do this for me. The skillet, like a first love will always have a special place in my heart.

(Get it? In my heart? I crack myself up sometimes.)

It's not yet time to talk about sausage and brats. I need to face these issues one at a time. I will always have hot sauce. I must confess, like Simon&Garfunkle's Boxer, "...there were times when I took some comfort there......"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be a shame to put it into early retirement, I mean after all those years of excellent service. Skillets are reliable, they serve in all climates, always on time, never complain, never burn out and always look good in black. Skillets are better than people and a heck of a lot more durable. They survive the fires of Hell and still keep going. Yeah, skillets are my heroes.

If the bomb dropped, the only things that would be left are cockroaches, skillets and Keith Richards.

Feel better soon and look on the bright side, at least you will have more time to write.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Yes Alexys. I see that you too have a deeper understanding of the skillet, and all that is entailed in said skillet. No, I don't think the skillet will be retired in the classic sense. The skillet will always be with me, ever more....You will have to excuse me, I'm taking pain killers.....I am really enjoying this whole skillet thing, maybe a little too much.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

I have a friend from my paper daze......he "barbeques" everything and at anytime, rain or shine.
Can't imagine ever letting go of anything that one likes so much.
Besides, well, anything and everything seems to be bad for you these days!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

So true Coffee, everything will kill you. Friggin doctors take all the fun out of life. I'm thinkin' I'm just fine. I'm thinkin' it's just a glitch. Either way, ain't gonna worry about it too much. I will not surrender my skillet. Good to hear from you.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Are you able to do any consulting?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Sure.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home