Friday, April 27, 2007

At It Again.

So I had this dream the other night. I rarely remember my dreams, except the nightmares and I have not had one of those in a very long time, I think. Yeah, so in this dream I met my big brother. Strange, 'cause I don't have a brother. It all started a couple of weeks ago, well, decades ago really. I know, you're getting ready to hate this. I know that for me at least, anything that begins with "it all started" has a tendency to get real boring real fast. I will try to keep it short and sweet. Right now I have to go pick up my daughter at school, after a cigarette of course. After I pick her up I'm going to see about getting a haircut, depends on the line at the barber's. I'll pick this up when I get back. The Parrot is giving me that look. Tom Petty is on the radio singing about "let's get........to the point"..... When I get back I will.

(save as draft)

Okay, yeah so I'm back. Never did get that haircut. Never even drove past the barber's to see how long the line was. Picked my daughter up at school and she was having a problem with her tooth spacer device. The orthodontist installed it yesterday, it will keep her teeth from closing in around existing gaps as her remaining three baby teeth fall out on their own and her twelve year molars come in. Anyway, there was a small burr on one of the two rings that hold this wire device in place. It's a semi-permanent device, not like a retainer. So the orthodontist does not have regular office hours on Friday. I called the emergency number and they called him. He came in and met us at the office. He used a small pneumatic tool and ground the burr down flush, it's all better now. He's a good guy, he's got a nice truck. It's a 1997 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab with the eight foot bed, 4x4 of course. He's into restoring old buildings, his office is a registered historical landmark. Oh yeah, one other bonus. This guy is from Jersey originally, Hackensack I think. My daughter thinks he's cool, and he is pretty cool, introduces himself by first name, doesn't make you call him Doctor.

(cigarette break)

Well, that was stressful. Trying to make a pot of coffee, heat up some soup for my daughter and keep The Parrot from screaming all at the same time. It's spring, The Parrot gets all fired up in the spring. I didn't get a chance to grab a smoke outside, have to keep The Parrot quiet so my wife can sleep. She's doing an overtime shift tonight. Okay, things are calming down now. Maybe I can sneak out back for a quick smoke.....Quietly..............SHHHHHH.........Like a Ninja.

Alright, where was I? Oh yeah, Tom Petty. I finally threw the blanket over The Parrot's cage, that seems to have worked. Yeah, that dream I was trying to tell you about. It's largely based on a family rumor, a rumor that emanates, perhaps wafts is more appropriate, from one of the many skeletons in my family's musty old collective closet. It's a big closet. It took years, generations even, to build that closet. Many guard the closet, minions of the skeletons lurking within. It's kind of like that scene from that old movie. What is the name of that movie? You know the one, it has a little tiny woman who talks to the ghosts in the TV. She says the following. "Go away from the light" and they throw a tennis ball into the closet or something like that. Well, if you remember when Craig T. Nelson opens that closet door only to come face to face with that monster/demon thing? That's like the closet I'm talking about here.

Everything is about how it all looks. Truth is what you make it. I feel like a traitor for discussing these things, for even thinking about them, so brainwashed was I for so very long. I have to go for now. I'm going to pick this up later. My wife's alarm clock just went off. I would like to be with her for a little while before she goes to the plant for her overtime shift. I have to blog about this stuff, so that it does not infect my writing elsewhere. I've addressed some of the darkness in my first book, that's enough.

4 Comments:

Blogger whatnext said...

we're all sort of haunted, aren't we? whether its by the idea of something supernatural or by the idea of an idea, something's got a hold on all of us. (as Great Big Sea would describe it: like a dog wrapped 'round my leg.)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Okay! Ain't that the truth. There is more to this, I'll lay it all out in my next post.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

Squarehead,
Embrace the darkness. Darkness frees the spirit. (Get it?) I think the movie you're referring to is Poltergeist. And it's better to have a Poltergeist reference than your head spinning 360 degrees as in the Exorcist.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Oh I like that Alexys. "Embrace the darkness"....Yes, Poltergeist is preferable. I just could not remember the name! Must be getting old.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home