Friday, April 13, 2007

quack quack

This Imus thing, wow. I've been a fan of his since the seventies, anybody remember Moby Worm? I am not surprised that he's been fired, I am not surprised that the Rutgers players have decided to accept his apology....Yeah yeah yeah, freedom of speech, guaranteed by the First Amendment, well?.....It does not say anywhere in that document that we are guaranteed the right to a microphone and sponsors so that we may exercise our right to free speech. What Imus said was wrong. Proctor&Gamble just wants to sell soap. NBC TV and CBS radio just want to sell air time to Proctor&Gamble so that they can sell their soap, it really is that simple.

So, now we are supposed to look at "the root causes"... What "root causes"? Imus has made a lot of money for a lot of years doing what he does best, and what Imus does best is just be himself. I don't know the man but I think it's safe to say that he's probably an asshole. Yes, he does a lot of good work, he is a philanthropist, who also happens to be an asshole. Like I said, I have listened to Imus on the radio and on MSNBC since the mid-seventies, he is funny and rude and I'm glad he's not my neighbor. I also think that he has a good heart, that he carries a lot of demons and that he will try very hard to make amends for his mean spirited comments that were directed at those girls.

I know that Hip-Hop and Rap are being blamed for this but that's a load of bull. You can't blame Snoop for the actions of a man who's been pissing people off since the sixties, besides it's different. How you may ask? Well, I don't know a lot about Hip-Hop and Rap music, but I do know that the objectionable lyrics are rarely directed towards specific individuals, like female college athletes. Imus said what he said and he should have known better. He is a professional broadcaster with decades of experience under his belt and a dedicated crew of professionals around him. He just should have known better.......I think he will be back, on some other network with some other deal. I think that when he does come back he will work towards addressing the larger issues of race and sexism in our society. I know he will do these things if given the chance. I know he will do these things because he said he would. I know this because one thing I have learned about Imus from thirty years of listening to Imus is that he does what he says he's going to do.

The time is now 2:25 PM, coming up at the bottom of the hour I have to go pick up my daughter at school soon, drop her off here and run a few errands, Lou?................

A nice B.B. King bumper plays me off this blog.
"....The thrill is gone......"

2 Comments:

Blogger Helene said...

I posted on the same topic a couple of days ago. I just keep coming back to the fact that I continously hear worse comments on the radio,that people might even believe are true.(not that I think its great, but we live in a country that allows freedom of speach... if you dont like it, dont listen, dont advertise and dont support...).. no one believes these girls are nhh's! It was a stupid racist thing to say to be sure and I think he should have to make it up to the public... not with infamy and having his program pulled, but perhaps with educating people who do listen to him... community service... how about having to travel with the team and do a reality TV show... all in the name of peace and learning to love our differences.

idk seems to me we are spending so much time talking about this and not enough time talking about the men and women dying in Iraq.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Kate, thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, we do hear far worse on the radio, and elsewhere. Like I said in the post, he should have known better. I do agree with you, we as a nation do have bigger fish to fry than Don Imus, like the war. I also feel that we have lost respect, for ourselves as well as others. Those girls from Rutgers are all doing the right thing, they should not have been verbally attacked like that. I am the father of two wonderful girls, had someone insulted them like that? I don't know, I'd probably want to stomp on him.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home