Thursday, May 31, 2007

Between.

So this guy I work with, the one who lives around the corner, we share rides to and from The Dock, that guy. He's a Nam vet, 1st. Cav., Purple Heart and Bronze Star, "V" for valor. So last night we finished up a little early, had some hang time before punching out. So he's telling me about all the stadiums he's been to in his life, he's almost sixty so he's been to quite a few. He's telling me how he's never been to South Bend. He's tellin me how he's never seen Notre Dame play on their home field.

This guy was a high school football star back in the sixties. Senior year he suffered a knee injury preventing him from accepting a football scholarship to Ohio State. A couple years later he was drafted, his knee was good enough for the army. He served his combat tours, never complained. He knows more about football than anyone I have ever met. All he wants is to see Notre Dame play on their home field once before he's too old to enjoy it. I'm thinking about sending e-mails to Notre Dame, explain his situation. I'm also thinking about this guy I once knew, this guy who went to Notre Dame. Maybe I can look him up, maybe he can help.

I just think it would be nice. I think a man who served his country without complaining, a man who's spent the last thirty-five years working hard as a Teamster to support his family, a man who wants so little yet has given so much. This man should be able to see Notre Dame play on their home field.

He's not the kind of guy who would ever accept what he might consider to be a handout. He's a tough old man, I don't want to piss him off. If by some chance I am able to pull this off, he can't know anything about it. I'm going to talk this over with my wife this weekend, she's real good with stuff like this. I bet she's got some ideas.

This whole idea came to me in a flash a couple of hours ago. Driving back from Wal-Mart, the long way. Listening to the Dead. It hit me at the end of Ripple. Right before Uncle John's Band.

4 Comments:

Blogger whatnext said...

Square', my man. Speaking as a woman whose son went to Notre Dame, I'd be completely flabbergasted if Notre Dame, also nicknamed (by me...) National Cash Register, came through with a ticket. Notre Dame only knows how to TAKE $$$. That's been MY experience.

You'd think, as parents of a "Domer" we would have been able to get a ticket or two during the years we were sending them checks for $30,000. In the 4 years he was there, we were only successful ONCE in getting tickets.(Back then there were only one or two games which parents can enter a "lottery" to see whether they can win the chance to purchase tickets. The beauty of this story is that, on the day we were set to leave for the game, my godmother died. My husband and daughter set out for South Bend, and I got to stay home and sit in a funeral parlor all weekend.

But, hey. It's worth a try. Stranger things have happened than Notre Dame giving something free to someone.

But not MANY stranger things.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Wow, I had no idea that tickets were so hard to get. I looked up that guy I once knew, the one who went to Notre Dame. He said pretty much the same thing. oh well, it was a nice idea, I'll keep trying anyway 'cause you really do never know, like you said. You know?

8:21 AM  
Blogger whatnext said...

whatever happens, you will be awarded 100 Karma Points for an extremely kind gesture, anyway.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Thank you for that Okay. I can use all the Karma points I can get. I'm probably in the minus column there anyway.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home