Saturday, May 26, 2007

High Hats.

Finished the corner area of the new patio area today. It's separate from the rest, it's where the grill will sit. Moved right on to digging up and turning over the overgrown garden (if you can call it a garden) next to the house. This area is about twenty-five feet long by maybe three feet wide, it's separated from the main patio area by some old railroad ties sunk about halfway down. The ties are so old that weeds are growing out of them in some spots, they look real cool though. I got about twenty feet of that dug up, cleaned out and raked to a nice even grade when it started raining. Damn, I hate that. I love working outside, stay out 'til dark every chance I get. Anyway, I wanted to get the filter paper and stone down today so I could start working on the main area as soon as. So I end up back inside, pulling wire and hooking up the flush mount ceiling fixtures, or high hats, in the front room. I got it done, now I have to seal up some stuff on the exterior wall at the front of the house, and remove a section of old gas line that's no longer in use.

At one time this was a two family house, the second floor apartment was heated by a small gas furnace mounted in the ceiling of the first floor. I had to remove the grate and close off that hole when we were working on the second floor last year. Now, I have to deal with the exposed natural gas line, half inch black pipe, that's hanging down about four inches below the joists. Since we removed the drop ceiling, and we are going to hang the new ceiling just about an inch and five eighths (thickness of a two by four) off the joists, a section of this gas line has got to go. I won't bore you with any more stupid details, it's going to be a real pain in the ass. Not looking forward to it, can't put it off any longer.

So, our older daughter is out shopping for a dress to wear to "Senior Night". I have no idea what "Senior Night" is, I thought the dress buying was over with the prom. Guess again dad, it ain't never over. Yeah, so she's going dress shopping with this guy, he's just a friend she says. So she calls me and says they are going to be out a little later, they were at a steakhouse when she called. After steaks they are going to see Shrek III, I'm thinking to myself, I'm thinkin' how I thought she broke up with her boyfriend because she's just not wanting to have a boyfriend right now. Oh well, I guess going out with a guy who's a friend isn't like having a boyfriend. My wife took our younger daughter to get a bathing suit, that little girl is getting long and leggy like her mom, a one piece suit that fits her right will be a little bit hard to find. Here is a little known fact, about tall chicks with long legs, like my wife. Now, all these models that show off the clothes are tall chicks with long legs. For some unknown reason, it's almost impossible to find those clothes in the store that fit a tall chick with long legs, go figure. I've seen my wife go through this for years, they make "big and tall" clothes, but what if your just tall and not very big? It looks like our little one will have to deal with that too. There are far worse things to deal with I know.

So the little one, she's eleven, she spends over an hour on the phone with this boy from school yesterday. I know him, he's in her class and he's a nice enough kid. I have to admit that it's driving me nuts. Girls, clothes, PMS, phones, AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my girls very much, wouldn't want things any other way but it can get a little stressful at times. I worry about them, you know? I saw this great bumper sticker on a van Down Neck (That's in Newark NJ, remember I'm from Jersey) the bumper sticker read the following:

"MY DAUGHTER CAN DATE WHEN I'M DEAD"

I want that bumper sticker. I want to meet every little slacker who comes hangin' around my girls with a pump shotgun in my hands, so they know that I don't like them hangin' around my girls. Now it was hard enough with the boyfriend, now ex, the one the older daughter broke up with a couple weeks ago. It took me some time to warm up to him, and we know his parents. I don't think I'll ever get use to this. I'm going to take a shower, put some comfy clothes on and have a glass of wine, maybe four. Only drinkin' wine 'cause I got no beer. That's okay, I like wine too.

Hey Tommy........... I know, I always get weired this time of year. Memorial Day. I never know what to do with it..........Same here bro.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

You sound like a such cool dad. A handy man is so good to find. Your wife is a lucky lady. My father used to fix everything around the house -- until he had four sons and let them do it -- nothing got done.

Wishing you a peaceful Memorial Day.

P.S. Did you get the job at the winery?

11:42 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Alexys, thanks for that. The winery? Not yet, but probably soon, I think. My handyman skills are what might get me that job.

A peaceful Memorial Day, what a nice thought. Like I was saying, sometimes I just don't know what to do with Memorial Day. Just remember I guess. Sometimes that hurts.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

Squarehead,
I feel you. Don't let those ghosts of the past keep you down. Too many skeletons hanging around can dampen your spirit. It's all in Gods hands.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Yes Alexys, I could not agree more. My wife likes to use that line from Wayne's World.

"Live in the now man".

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home