Monday, May 21, 2007

Grapes.

So it's been ten days since I wrote here in this blog. I've been writing, just not here. I applied for a job at a local winery, had an interview this past Saturday. I hope I get the job, it seems like a real nice place. If I get the job it would mean steady days, no more second shift. It would also mean a chance to get ahead, it starts at thirty cents per hour more than I make now. It is also the kind of place where you can earn a raise based on your job performance and value to the company, not just an arbitrary and antiquated contract/union system. The family that owns the place has a store, a wine store at The Mills in Pittsburgh, they are growing right along with the grape vines.

Have to go for now, I'll pick this up tonight after work.

TOMMY!! Can you here me?...I know, it's corny, but it never gets old to me.

Okay, I'm back. It's not yet tonight, just about a half an hour later actually. Got a lot going on, hanging and wiring high hats in the front hallway. Picking up and unloading free paver blocks from a friend of mine, pavers I will use to build a patio. Free stuff is always good, these blocks are not really pavers but I'm going to use them as pavers. They have a cool texture, measure about 15 1/2"x 7 1/2". They way 26 lbs. each so I can only take thirty max per trip, and that's pushing it. The Jeep is like a 1/4 ton payload, maybe? Anyway, it's free stuff and these blocks will make a very cool and unique patio to be sure. We already have a patio, this will be another patio, it makes sense if you saw the layout of this hilly yard. I love working outside.

My wife and I had great weekend, the girls did too. She didn't work any overtime this past week, we stayed up late on Saturday night cooking, and drinking a little wine. It was a real nice weekend. Yesterday, Sunday that is, we cooked some more and stuffed our faces all day long. She went to bed around six for a nap before starting her work week at midnight last night. The dogs are really digging their new fenced in area, literally. They get to have lots more outside play time now, the fence looks good too. I did a nice job, if I do say so myself. Anyway, I have to run for real this time. Have to pick up my daughter at school then go to work down on The Dock. Our older daughter is going to look at apartments with two girlfriends after school. They are considering moving in together while they all work and go to college. It's about twenty-five minutes north of here, a Penn State campus with two year programs and plenty of college friendly type jobs around the immediate area. Keeping the fingers crossed, I'd rather she stay here at home and go to the I.U.P. State University two year campus right here in town but, what are you going to do?

Tommy, I'm starting to worry bro. She is the baby girl, eighteen but still the baby girl......Yeah, I know......Catch you later bro.

4 Comments:

Blogger MMM said...

Congrats on the possible new job! I hope the job description includes being a wine taster. ;-)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

That, my dear Trip-M, would be like hittin' the lottery!

10:14 AM  
Blogger whatnext said...

how'd the job thing turn out? i think i've seen their store at Pgh. Mills. strangely enough, i have a winery about a mile from my house. family run. grapes from Erie, wine a little rough but not bad to drink. it makes me laugh every time i drive by to think that i can just run down to the "local winery" for a bottle of red. that feels liberating, having grown up under the iron hand of the State Store system.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Okay, you know I was wondering if you had been to that store. Thought just maybe you might have. Yeah, the State Store system, what a pain in the ass! Our local State Store no longer carries what had become a new favorite wine of ours. Being from Jersey, we're used to the liquor store. You van buy your beer and wine and whatever else at the liquor store. "Bottle King" was one of my favorites, it's the size of a grocery store and the wine section is really stocked. As far as the job goes, I'm still waiting to hear but the interview went well.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home