Monday, April 07, 2008

"The Changeling"

One of my favorite Doors songs. Anyway, lots-o-changes here. Last Thursday I went over to The Dock around 1030 hours. I asked to see the Big Boss. It's a family owned and operated business. The Big Boss is the eldest son who, along with his brother and cousin, run the whole show.

I had spoken to him about six weeks ago. I spoke to him about a full time position. He told me to wait a couple months. He said a customer owed him a lot of money, and the contract was open. He said that the Dock Supervisor and my Shift Foreman both want me on full time. He said he wants me on full time too, just not yet. I smiled and thanked him. I reminded him that I was an ex-cop from Jersey. I told him maybe I know some guys. Maybe we could collect that debt for him. He laughed, thank God he laughed. Sometimes people don't get me, humor and like that.

Yeah, so I go see him on Thursday. He calls the Dock Supervisor in his office and we talk. He is very nice and I like him. He said he would have an answer for me within two weeks, one way or the other. See it's like this. One of the company trailer drivers just quit, went to work for a drilling rig outfit. I know that they need that slot filled and I have a class A c.d.l....I can drive a trailor.

So I come back home and the phone rings about ten mintutes after I walk in the door. It's the Dock Supervisor. He said I start full time on Monday, that's today. That means an immediate increase of four dollars and thirty-five cents per hour with two more increases at six month intervals of seventy-five cents an hour each. It also means paid holidays, five paid sick days, one personal day and a week's vacation. Two weeks after three years. I will also get my birthday off with pay, and I will be in the Teamster's Pension fund. Not bad. Oh yeah, since I don't need the insurance because I have insurance through my cop pension, I will get a little extra in each check for that as well. This is very good news. To land this job at my age, in this economy, it's very good news indeed.

The best part is this. My wife was able to take leave from her job at the powdered metal factory. She can schedule her needed surgery and not have to worry about rushing back to work. She can take the time she needs to beat this friggin' cancer. She can be home more with The Girls and The Dogs and The Parrot and The Love Bird. She can get well.

Yeah. Last Thursday was a real good day. Life is looking up. I love my wife.

"I live.......uptown.........I live..........downtown........I live.......all around"

3 Comments:

Blogger whatnext said...

at last. some GOOD news. this sounds great. hopefully the time off will help your wife with the healing. whew. good.

9:08 PM  
Blogger The Old Bag said...

This is good news...very good.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Thank you both.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home