Friday, January 18, 2008

Salt. Chip. Shovel. Sweep. Salt.

Yeah, so last night it was raining and snowing at the same time. A couple of us step out off The Dock around midnight to hang a smoke before we punch out at the end of our shift. It was raining and snowing at the same time. Weather report says a high of thirty-four degrees today. Weather report says it's going to get real cold this weekend. We're talking single digit cold.


So my wife comes home from work this morning. She says maybe she wants to run some errands. Maybe stop for lunch like we did yesterday when we had to go to the bank. Yesterday we shared a small pie at our favorite pizza place. She had her half with peppers and onions, olives and mushrooms. I had my half with sausage and pepperoni, onions and peppers. It was damn good. We ordered a large extra cheese to bring home for the girls. The younger baby girl was pretty happy with that when she got home from school. The older baby girl had some when she got home from work.


So I'm thinking that maybe because we had such a nice time together yesterday, and we really did have a good time. Lots of laughs, good conversation. Yeah, so I'm thinking how nice it would be to do that again today. So I wanted to jump on the offer to take my wife out and run some errands when she got home from work. I had to decline. I had to clean up the steps and the sidewalks after last night's rain and snow. With the deep freeze coming, it had to be done. We probably shouldn't spend the money anyway. We spent almost thirty dollars for lunch and the pizza to go. That's enough for now. I absolutely hated saying no to my wife this morning. I would rather hang out with her than chip the ice. I'm trying to be responsible. Chip the ice.


She's sleeping now. I won't see her 'til midnight tonight when I get home from my shift down on The Dock. She's not working overtime this weekend so she'll be home. I'm glad she's not going in for the overtime shift. She did that last week. I know the extra money is nice, but she works too hard as it is. I worry about her. I feel bad that she has to work at all. She likes to work, but it would be nice if it were an option rather than survival.



Hey Tommy, I was listening to the news before. They were sayin' that the government is going to try to do something about the economy. It's only been years with all of us out here in Blue Collar Land drowning. It seems that the Dow is losing money. The Dow is slipping. Can't have that now can we. God forbid all those Wall Street guys lose a little money while they continue to send our jobs out of the country and pay us less for what little work is left here for us to do.


Those assholes in Washington, who are supposed to work for us, better do something quick. If they keep letting these business school graduates and lawyers run the show, there ain't goin' to be too much left for them to govern. Yeah, and look who's runnin' for President these days? That's right bro. Lawyers and business school graduates. Like we can really trust any one of these people to do what's best for the whole country, and not just what's best for their own rich friends. Change. That's what they are all sayin' now. Make a change. Time for a change. Like it's some kind of big deal. Like it's goin' to be so hard to do things a little different. Like doing the right thing, doing your job. Doing the job that you were elected to do, the job that we pay you to do. Like that's so friggin' challenging. Like they are goin' to have to work soooo hard, and sacrifice soooo much. We should all feel bad for them. Look how hard they work. They have to raise all that money from the rich people and the corporations. It's really hard.


Bullshit. They could fix that in a second. They are the ones who have set the system up this way. They are the ones who will not let anybody else in. But they work so hard. We should all be thankful for their tireless efforts, while they sell our country out from under us. They have their supporters holding up signs in the background whenever they get in front of the cameras. The signs all say CHANGE. Just like that, in big bold letters. How stupid do they think we are? How damn insulting to us all. As if a friggin' cardboard sign is goin' to get you my vote because it has the word CHANGE on it.


Hey Tommy. I'm sorry man. I don't mean to get up on a soapbox and rant about politics. I'm just pissed off 'cause I had to chip the ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home