Saturday, July 22, 2006

Grocery store and crisper drawer.

Just returned from the store, she gave me a list. Moist Deluxe chocolate cake mix, only chocolate cake mix was devil's food or dark chocolate fudge. I went with the latter, it has the word chocolate in it. This always happens to me, probably get in trouble. Made a mess of the cake mix shelf searching desperately for the chocolate cake mix.

An hour has elapsed, I'm not in trouble. The chocolate fudge cake mix is good to go, that was close. The fridge has a humidity control on the crisper drawer, I don't get it. You slide the lever back and forth, what do the numbers mean?

When I left for the store ZZ TOP was on the radio.

.............in that shack outside LaGrange..............

I love that song. When I was done at the store, Springsteen's Promised Land. I grew up in Jersey, he's still The Boss. My wife has to take a nap, she's doing weekend overnight shifts at the nursing home. She loves the residents there, she made a cake for them. She works hard for this family, she's a good woman. Our oldest may want to be a plastic surgeon, she's got the brains and the grades. She works real hard too, entering her senior year in high school. We can't afford much but will do what we can. We can make it happen. She is an artist, she loves theatre. She also has interests that vary, from interior design to architecture. We can make it happen.

Our oldest is my step-daughter, I hate that term, don't even like writing it. She was four when we got married, I showed her the ring before I gave it to my wife. She made a card for Mommy, what a sweet kid, calls me daddy. I met my wife a year after I returned from an active duty tour in Saudi/Kuwait, Desert Storm. In 1990 I was a cop for a few years already, still had a reserve obligation. Volunteered for Desert Shield/Desert Storm, seemed like a good idea at the time. It was really hot over there. The people are different, artillery is loud.

A few years after we married, our second daughter was born. She's smart too, like her sister. She's in the gifted program, could read when she was two. Some genetic things skip a generation, in my case it must be brains. These girls are my everything. When I was fifteen my parents had a Christmas party. I arrived late, a little bit drunk and a little bit stoned. Don't judge, it was the seventies. I remember talking with the ministers wife, a nice lady. I have no idea how we got on the topic but, she said she would never hurt another human being, even if she was defending her children. I still don't understand that, I respect it on some levels but I will never understand it. I am not a violent person, but mess with my kids? I'm sure most parents are just like me. How could you not want to give them everything?

Still wondering what the humidity control on the crisper drawer is for. I'll have to ask my daughter, the younger one. She's like techy smart, she'll know, or she'll know where to find the answer. I need coffee and a cigarette, maybe some asprin. My brain hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home