Saturday, November 11, 2006

11-11

So it's Veteran's Day, it's raining. My wife and younger daughter are out and about, groceries and stuff. Both girls went and got haircuts yesterday. My wife gave them a little extra cash so they could go to the Chinese buffet after the salon. They had a nice time. I went to the cardiologist at 1230 hours yesterday. Hooked up to two different machines that beeped and squeaked. My BP was 110/70, like always. Doctor says I have LVH. That's Left Ventricle....something, I can't remember. He says it's probably no big deal. He says I have to go back on Wednesday for the Echocardiogram, they just call it an Echo. Yeah, so then next Friday I have to report to the hospital at 0730 for a stress test. Doctor says it's no big deal. I'm not sure about that being "no big deal". Doctor says the LVH could be caused by a couple of different things. He said no more salt.

So when I'm in the examining room this old doctor comments on some of the old scars I've got, he says something about all the old faded blue ink I got. He says, with his cool foreign accent, that it looks like I've been a bad boy. I know it sounds strange but he has this accent so it didn't sound strange if you heard it in person. So later on I'm thinkin' to myself. I'm thinkin' maybe my hearts been damaged by all that stuff they shot us up with for Desert Storm.

Had to take a break. They got back from the store, had to help carry groceries in, put it all away. we were all hangin' out in the kitchen, all four of us and the two dogs. She's cookin' a bunch of stuff for the week ahead. The Parrot is out on his perch, groovin' to the oldies station, singin' up a storm. My wife is painting the attic door, she's just five feet away from me with the door on the horses. I got the hinges drying in the basement. We paint the old hinges so the doors hang properly when finished.

So like I was sayin', I'm thinkin' to myself. I'm thinkin' how the VA keeps cutting benefits for vets. I'm thinkin' about that Marine I met in a bar shortly after returning from active duty in '91. I was on my old shovel, had my issue desert boots on. He's walkin' into the bar behind me. I hear him say "nice boots". I turn around and he's wearin'em too. So we sank a few beers together, shot some pool. A few months later he's tellin' me how he's been bleeding from his backside. He says the VA tells him it's not their problem.

So right now I'm thinkin'. I'm thinkin' 'bout my buddy in Missouri who's gums were bleeding for no reason. The VA tells him it's not their problem. I'm thinkin' about all the people who served over there back then, all the problems a lot of them have reported. I'm thinkin' how the VA recently decided that there is no such thing as Gulf War Syndrome. I'm thinkin' about these people serving now. I'm wondering what the VA will tell them in a few years. I suspect the VA will say that it's not their problem.

I'm thinkin' about this older guy I work with, I've mentioned him before. Sometimes we ride to and from work together. He told me how he was an accomplished athlete in high school. He injured his knee playing football senior year. That injury cost him a shot at a college football scholarship. He said the draft board didn't mind, he was healthy enough for them.

Hey Tommy...... Yeah I'm bitchin' again.......I know you do. Hey, enjoy this Veteran's Day bro. This is your day......Yeah, I'll keep that in mind my friend. I gotta run, lots to do today.....Yeah maybe that too.....Hey, you never know.......I will, you too.

14 Comments:

Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Hi there! Good Luck with all the "medical!"
The stories you mention about the VA aren't as few as you allude, and more than you'd imagine.
I just recorded a Viet-Nam Vet from '63-'65 and he's on his death bed, with the same response
at the VA about a 1/2 hr away.
It's all a bit much and there are too many aspects to these stories, but you're right to question
the government that sends people off to War, not only without the right tools, as they did in Iraq,
but not really taking care of their "own" as they like to say! ; (
But don't get me started.....Take Care!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Coffee, thanks for the luck. Yeah, VA stories. I only mentioned a couple but I got lots too. My father, a WWII vet and still kickin'. Should have seen what he had to go through just to get a flue shot. He finally went to the VA hospital and told them he wouldn't leave until they gave him his flue shot. He's old but he's scary. They said they didn't have his old serial number. When he served they didn't just use your social like they do today. He damn well knew his serial number. They gave him his shot only to avoid an incident.

6:30 PM  
Blogger whatnext said...

Hey! Like, Ouch and Dammit! I haven't been reading anything much lately, and tonight I discover that you've been hurt. Jeez. Take care.

I wouldn't worry much about the tests. If you come home alive every day from the type of work you're doing now, the test should be a breeze. Good luck, though. I freaking HATE tests and hospitals and doctors' offices anymore. Every time I go I have something new. But, man, I wish I had your blood pressure. I'm generally in the 130s and 140s these days, even when nothing is pissing me off....

7:13 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Well thank you OKAY. Yeah, I hate all that medical stuff too. I think that's half the problem. You go to the hospital or doctor's office, and just the fact that you are there is enough to make you sick. Good to hear from you, thanks for stopping by.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squarehead,
The level of pain and deception that you've had thrown your way breaks my heart. It's one of those bootstrap moments, when you have to pull yourself up again and again.

Your strength still astonishes me. Keep your head up.

"I am a rock. I am an island....And a rock feels no pain and an island never cries."

11:21 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Thank you Alexys, I appreciate the heartfelt sentiment.

"....feels no pain....never cries...."

Not when anyone else is looking anyway.

Well my wife knows what a big baby I can be. Like most men, I think I'm good at hiding it all. I Just can't hide it from her.

I think we all have bootstrap moments. I mean, that's what life is all about, right?

My wife says if life was so great here on earth, then no one would appreciate heaven.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

If you haven't yet, may I suggest you record your Dad, about his life story and War experience.
Too many lives get lost, and we all are part of the big picture.
I used to have a semi-hard time with people, to get them to record (I'm not important, I've only worked in a store, etc, etc) but once I mention we all touch others indirectly in our interactions, that we don't realize, do they understand why being recorded is so important ; )
I use a CD recorder, and have also recorded a driving record with stops through the county, with a 91 yr old. Obviously some of the History and buildings are no longer here, but the memories and old photographs will bring it back to anyone interested in reviewing such things.
Bring out old photos also, which help stimulate some memories perhaps forgotten.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Coffee. That's a nice idea but, he never talks about it. Ever.

I do know some family history, got all I know from others. Maybe I'll write about what I do know.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

That's interesting, as my Dad is now 75 and all of a sudden (past few yrs) he's talking about everything in his past. Childhood memories @ 3-4 yrs old, but doesn't remember much about my sister & I growing up.
Has put me in an awkward position, as it's obvious why he never talked about these things, yet, it's so fresh in his memory, it cause's him many tears.
Anyway, maybe your Dad will all of a sudden decide to let it out.
Good Luck!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Sounds like maybe it's made you and your father closer, that's a good thing.

My father and I have never had that kind of relationship. We have never been close. Trust me, it's a lot better this way.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

How do you feel about the cuts to the vets? It makes no sense to me. We "support the troops" who come back as vets, often in need. My husband has a 10% disability from an illness he picked up from bad food in the mess hall--he was in the hospital for 6 weeks. Now we have guys coming back with PTSD, and funding for those programs are getting cut. Grrr. I get mad. Who really cares about the vets but other vets and those of us who love them?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Close? Not hardly, but the signs of affection that weren't there for ma as a child growing up, are making themselves known now.
Twice, once as a teenager, I was put in a position to "help" him with a grown-up decision : I didn't.
Once, very recently he tried again : I didn't. It's not that I don't want to, but he needs to know, needs to learn.
Once in awhile I'll get a call from my son about something, but he talks it out, and knows what he needs to do.
I can be a Dad to my son, but not to my Dad, no matter what.
Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there......
Cheers!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

So true Enemy. I went to the VA once, years ago. This guy told me I'd be better off looking for help in the private sector, since I had insurance. It is just plain wrong what they are doing to our people serving today. Maybe, just maybe the Dems will look into that.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Coffee, it sounds like you had it tough growing up, me too. I commend you your efforts to make things right. I don't have it in me to try any more.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home