Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Back On The Dock.

Been busy, went to the doctor on Monday morning, returned to work Monday afternoon. Still sore, taking it easy. It's good to be back at work. Had enough time off, feel better just getting back to work. They have this stupid rule, have to be out fourteen calendar days in order for Worker's Compensation to kick in. Now that's just stupid, just encourages people to stay out longer than needed. I won't get paid for the thirty-eight hours I missed last week, that stinks. The alternative stinks too. I would have had to lie to the doctor, pretend I was in worse shape just to get paid for the time I missed due to an accident that happened at work. I don't want to do that. Maybe I'm the stupid one, but I can look at myself in the mirror. If the company chooses not to pay me, that's their problem. My wife is all for it. Yes it's going to be a tight month because of it, but we are not going to play those kind of games. We don't have a lot, but we do have our self respect. That's more than the insurance company can say.

So yesterday we voted, then went to the community center to see our younger daughter sing with her class at a Veteran's Day event. It was a good day. All the old guys from the Legion and the VFW were sitting right up front while the kids sang. One group sang "This Land Is Your Land", they got a standing ovation. Our daughters class sang all of the service songs. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corp and the Coast Guard songs. When they were done, they sang the song that brought tears to my eyes, and to the eyes of all the old guys sitting up front. They sang "Let There Be Peace On Earth". It doesn't get any better than that. At one point during the show, an old retired Army Chief Warrant Officer read a prayer from the podium, his hands were shaking. You could have heard a pin drop in that auditorium. Then he asked all the parents who were vets to stand. I didn't want to stand, but when I saw how many people stood up I stood too. This group of fourth graders held up a sign that said "THANKS" in red white and blue sparkly letters. It was nice. I'm glad I don't have sons of military age. This guy I work with, his eighteen year old boy just enlisted, this guy I work with is upset.

Hey Tommy, I was thinkin' 'bout you yesterday............Yeah bro, I was thinkin' 'bout everybody yesterday........You should have seen that show, these kids were great man.......Yeah, and that song. "Let There Be Peace On Earth", it was nice to hear those kids singing that song.......Yeah it is about time........I bet you're right bro, I bet some idiot out there will think that song helps the terrorists win........Yup, so true. Idiots like that never do serve, they just like to run their mouths and send others to do it for them............I will Tommy. Hey I gotta run, I'm back at work this week......Yeah I'm done slackin'...........Oh yeah, the cardiologist thing is on Friday at 1230hrs., the appointment got changed........I will let you know. Hey Tommy, maybe you could talk to somebody, pull a few strings or something........Yeah, I think those kids should have their wish granted. "Let There Be Peace On Earth".

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squarehead,

Integrity trumps insurance shenanigans every time. There's a little something called karma that has a funny way of finding its way back to us. Whether it's good or bad, it does find a way to seep into our Souls.

"Let There Be Peace On Earth." A nice footnote to a world of chaos. From the kids lips to God's ears.

Take care.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Those WC rules are a "hoot" aren't they?!
I have a 23 yr old and am always worried about his intentions, although signing up for something outside the country isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sticking up for the US, but so far, nothing has really made us fight within these borders, for our time period.
Besides, the Trauma that no one speaks of that these poor kids face, and come back and deal with is "pure hell" and maybe worse than the fighting since it stays with them a lifetime ; (
Of course, none of the higher ups will ever speak of such things. Kinda like hiding the coffins as they arrive back in the US. Pretend like it doesn't happen.
Yikes, sorry about going on. This War stuff is very frustrating to me, having heard so many hours of the stories.
Good Luck back at work!!!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Alexys, I could not agree more. Thank you.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Coffee, yes this war stuff is bad. When I returned from my last active duty tour in 1991, I had trouble sleeping. I'm proud of my service, but sometimes I do have some regrets. I hope your 23 year old does not enlist at this particular time. The service can be a very positive experience. I grew up a lot, it's taken me a long time to put some things to rest however. Some people handle it better than others, some guys are just born for it. I've known guys like that. Tommy was like that, no regrets. I always wanted to be like that, but I'm not.
Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Alexys, one more time 'cause it feels so good to say it.
"Let There Be Peace On Earth".
Like you said, from those kids to God's ears.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home