Thursday, December 28, 2006

Going Around.

Christmas is over. I thought about a Christmas post on this blog of mine, I decided against it. Please know that when I said my Christmas prayers, I included all of you. Christmas is very personal to me, for a number of reasons. Christmas was not always good, sometimes it was, by accident. My wife and I have started our own Christmas traditions, our girls love Christmas. We cook and eat, we never go overboard with the presents. The dogs get new rawhide chews, the birds get sweet potatoes and apples. Right now it's late, almost 0300 on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I need to get some sleep. I got home from work an hour ago. I go back to work eleven hours from now. My wife is still working ten hour shifts, we both had the three day weekend, it's all good. I'll pick this up tomorrow.

Thursday, 1224hrs.
Yeah so I just made about seventy-five smokes with the Premier Excel cigarette rolling machine. Stoker's #2 Ultra-Light tobacco and a combination of full flavor and light tubes, the tubes all come with filters, it's pretty easy actually. My wife figured it out, where we would spend seventy-two dollars every two weeks buying cigarettes, we now spend eighteen dollars. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the anti-smoking lunatics figure this out and come after the roll your own smokers. I'm sick and tired of people who try to tell everyone else how to live. It really does bother me. I know that smoking is bad for me, so is beer and steak and whole milk. Tanning beds are really bad for you. We don't do tanning beds, but I'll never tell anyone else that they shouldn't, it's your call.

Yeah, so Christmas. My Christmas prayer is for peace. My Christmas prayer is for everyone on this little planet of ours. My Christmas prayer is for all those who have not. Not enough food or warm clothing, not enough clean water to drink or bathe their children. My Christmas prayer is for everyone. I will say my Christmas prayer, quietly and to myself, every day. I will never ask for myself, I will only ask for others. That's the way it should always be.

My father has a first cousin, well he has more than one, but one in particular. This particular cousin wrote the Little Bear books, a guy named Maurice was the illustrator. I never met her, I don't think my father has seen or spoken to her in decades. My father's older sister has, they are about the same age and they played together when they were kids in Denmark. I only know this because my father's older sister wrote a book, a memoir of sorts. It's not anything for publication, it's just for the family. Anyway, she wrote about the time they spent in Denmark with the family. My father and his brother and sister were all born in Massachusetts, their parents were both born in Denmark. The family was quite well off, before the war that is. They ran a coal import business and a farm. My grandfather killed himself when the kids were young, grandma took them back to Denmark for awhile. I never knew my grandparents, hardly know any of my father's family at all. My father's brother passed away about a year ago, he lived in Australia. I always got along real well with him. He would call me from Australia, try to convince me to come down there. He once promised to pay my fare back home if I came to visit. I told him he would have to pay my fare up front, I wanted to make sure I could get back home. He laughed, he was drunk, he liked to have a good time.

Yeah, so Christmas. Not many fond memories of Christmas from my own childhood, busy making sure our kids have plenty. There is something dark about my father and his family. It's always been there, I just don't know what it is. I'm tired of trying to figure it all out. I'm just done with them for now. Like I was saying, I really don't know much them anyway. Too many skeletons would be my best guess. I don't like skeletons.

My Christmas prayer will never change. I will always want the best for my fellow human beings. I will always want the best for my wife and children. I will always try to do my best to see that through to the end.

Hey Tommy, been awhile bro. How you doin'?..........Tommy?.........I guess I just can't hear you right now, or maybe you can't hear me.......Well my prayer is for you too, for whatever it's worth.........I miss you buddy, I wish you were still here.

4 Comments:

Blogger whatnext said...

nothing wrong with asking for yourself, amigo. i think god has a limitless supply of grace. asking for yourself doesn't mean that there will be less for others. my view of god is somewhat like my understanding of capitalism: there is no finite pie.

happy new year.

p.s. isn't that grandfather story a great place to begin a work of fiction? if you don't know what the darkness was, you can invent your own story. or write your own happier ending. that's the great thing about fiction. you can take your characters wherever you want them to go.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Okay, I like the way you think. Actually, the whole "darkness" thing is finding a way into the story I'm currently writing. I am going to post excerpts as per your request. Excerpts from from my first book and this one. I just wish the day had about four more hours, this twnty-four thing is not enough. Happy New Year!

5:42 PM  
Blogger MMM said...

Squarehead- Happy New Year! I'm so glad we randomly stumbled upon each other in 2006. When you come to Mass. to research your story we will all go out for beers. ;-)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Happy New Year to you too Trip-M. I am also glad to have "met" you, in the electronic sense that is. And yes, we will sink some beers together one day.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home