Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Big Heart.

So the cardiologist says there's nothing wrong with me. He says my heart "might" be slightly enlarged. I said based on what, the last time you shot me full of dye and took pictures of it? Keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever had this done. He says nothing is blocked, no valve damage either. Guess it's a good thing that I change my oil every few months. Get it? No damaged vales? He didn't get it either. Cardiologist says come back in six months. They want to do one more Echocardiogram, to see if my heart is shrinking. This makes no sense to me on any level. I said to him, what if I just have a big strong heart? He says that could be the case. Needless to say, I'm pissed. Needless to say but I said it anyway.

So I'm out at the counter waiting to schedule my six month follow up. I'm looking at my file. The charges for just him, the cardiologist and the stuff they did at his office are $1,476.00, yeah. That does not include the stress test and all the stuff they did at the hospital. I'm fortunate to have good insurance, they pay for the whole thing. I can't help but think that all this testing is based more on the type of coverage I have than anything else. Somebody out there really needs all these tests and can't get them done because they have no insurance. This country is spending eight billion dollars per month in Iraq. Millions of Americans have no, or very little health coverage. What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Hey Tommy, you believe this shit?...........Yeah right, and pigs are gonna fly........Oh man, I can't right now.........Yeah, trying to get ready for Christmas. Hey we got our tree, it's a nice one too.....Yeah, she steam cleaned the carpets. Rented the machine yesterday, took it back this morning......No dude, she's working ten hour shifts all this week, mandatory OT........Yeah she is tired........Hey your sister worked crazy hours like that didn't she?........Yeah, she worked at that textile mill right?.......Yeah I remember you tellin' me 'bout it........No man, we ain't middle class any more. Ain't no more middle class bro........Yeah that's right. Hey that's pretty funny, can I use that?.........Cool, catch you later buddy.......Yeah, same here.

6 Comments:

Blogger MMM said...

You say: "They want to do one more Echocardiogram, to see if my heart is shrinking."

What!? Didn't your doctor just watch "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on TV? This time of the year your heart is SUPPOSED to be three sizes larger! ;-)

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are they trying to do to you, give you a heart attack with that bill? Thank God you have insurance.
Like Nietzsche says, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Take care.

2:54 AM  
Blogger whatnext said...

Hey. Nothing at all to do with what you just posted above, but I've been thinking about your book(s.) Why don't you post a paragraph or two, ones that you love the sound of? Whether you get published or not, I'd enjoy hearing your style and what key you write in. The rhythm of your sentences.(What I just wrote there makes sense to a musician who interprets language as sound,rhythm, tempo... which I do.)

Good news on the heart stuff. Though, of course, they are going to test you some more to rake in some cash.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Hey Trip-M, Exactly! That is so right. I'm buying the DVD and giving it to this guy next time I go.......... In June........ Six months from now.........I'm thinking it won't have the same impact as it would right now.

Alexys, Yes I think that's the idea. I have a heart attack right there in his office. He gets to say he was right after all, even though all the tests say he's not. He also gets to save my life, performing emergency CPR and stuff like that. He gets his name in the paper, maybe even on the TV news. Before you know it he's on Oprah! He also gets to bill my Blue Cross for enough to cover the mortgage on his new condo down in Boca......This could go on all day....Nietzsche huh? Yeah, I guess he was okay. I mean he's a little bit philosophical, you know. The way he looked at life and stuff like that, you know...........

Notice me desperately trying to carry on a conversation with myself. Trying to avoid moving on to the next comment, the comment and the question from OKAY. Well, guess I can't put this off any longer. I'm going outside to smoke a cigarette, have to roll it first. That will by me some time.

Hey Okay, how you doin'? I must admit, your question kind of has me thinking some. It's been suggested before, just not in a blog comment like this. A fellow blogger whom I sometimes exchange e-mail with and who has been very supportive, also suggested that. I'll be honest, it's scary. It's one thing to query an agent who then asks for a partial manuscript. That agent, if they like your work may then agree to represent you. That agent, now your agent, will then "shop" your book around to various publishers and try to land a deal. It's a one in a million shot, so it's really not that risky when you think about it but............Putting it out there on the web, now everyone can see it. Everyone can judge it, draw their own conclusions, reject it out of hand. Scary stuff my friend, but I'll do it. Just give me a little time to choose those paragraphs that I love, like you were saying. One of my fears is this. I pick something out, now the reader thinks that's what the whole book is about. It's the same problem I have with the dreaded synopsis. I'm going to put some thought into it, then I'll do it.

8:52 PM  
Blogger whatnext said...

heh heh...i know how you're feeling. i used to have the exact reaction to having to play my piano jury in front of the entire piano faculty. playing an instrument, like writing, does so much to show who you are and how you think, without you ever having to say a word. and if laying yourself bare in front of the piano faculty (or, in your case, cyberspace) isn't enough to freak you out, then i don't know what is. i use to go into the ladies room and throw up before every piano jury i ever played.

daunting, what i just asked you to do. and i would get it completely if you just said never mind.... but i hope you don't.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Okay, I promise you I will not change my mind, and if I throw up it won't be in the ladies room. Not being a musician I have no idea how stressful a Piano Jury can be. I have been in front of a Grand Jury, that was stressful. Thanks for being understanding.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home