Friday, November 02, 2007

Oh One.

Pink Ribbons...Fender Benders...Titanic Book Bags.

Yesterday, the first day of November. Our older daughter, the bigger baby girl. She takes the old Jeep up to the campus for her morning classes. She calls me at around eleven. She says she hit a parked car in the student lot. She's crying. She said she left a note on the windshield of the car she struck. The note said she was sorry. The note included her name and our phone number. She's a good kid. She did the right thing.

So I get a call from this woman down in Pittsburgh. Seems it's her daughter's car that was struck. I tell her that our daughter will pay for the damages. This woman is very nice. She says her daughter did the same thing in a store parking lot a couple of years ago. I tell her that my daughter will be home soon. I tell her that I will call her back. She is concerned that her daughter may not be able to drive safely at night. Damage is to the passenger side front blinker and headlight assembly.

When my daughter returns my wife and I give her hugs. We tell her it happens. We commend her on doing the right thing, leaving the note. With the nice woman's permission, the mother of the girl who's car our girl hit, my daughter and I go look at the damage to her car. It's not as bad as I first thought. I call the girl's mother back. I tell her that it appears like the lights will function, repairs are required of course, but she should be able to drive the car until repairs can be made. The other mother is relieved, she talks to our girl on the phone. She tells our girl that it's all okay. She tells our girl that she appreciates her honesty. She tells our girl not to worry, it's an old car and all they want to do is repair the lights. They are not worried about scratches and paint.

The doctor calls at around half past two. My wife gets the results of all the testing done on the mass they removed from her breast a couple of weeks ago. The first round of tests showed more cancer than was originally thought to be there. The more extensive tests confirmed that. The more extensive tests also showed that none of it is invasive yet. They are calling it aggressive D.C.I.S.........The doctor says that the whole breast will have to be removed.

My wife is telling me all this. I had to leave and pick up our younger baby girl at the bus stop. I return and my wife tells me the rest. I have to leave and go to work. I call her at lunchtime and we talk some more about it. After work last night we talk again.

She tells me that our younger baby girl left the cap loose on a bottle of water. The bottle of water was in her backpack. Her nine-hundred page math book, drenched. Her science book, drenched. The water logged school property was sitting on the heating vents, upright, opened slightly. As the pages began to dry they had to be seperated from each other. It was a save. The books are usable but obviousely damaged. The process continued well into the wee hours on Friday morning. We will have to pay a fine at the end of the school year. We will also have to figure out how to repair the damage on our old Jeep. Did I mention that a crease and dent are now visible on the passenger side front fender as a result of the older baby girl's failed attempt at parking in a clearly marked parking slot that's big enough to roll a semi-truck through?

With what we are facing, it don't mean nothin'. Wet books and dented Jeeps. Forget about it.
Jeeps look good with a couple of small dents anyway. Jeeps can carry that well. Battle scars. I know I've got a couple of old scars that I am actually proud of. Old Jeeps and guys, we can carry that well.

My wife is determined. She is going to kick this cancer's ass. She is going to have both of them removed. I think that's the right decision. It's important to note that what I think is, and should be, secondary in her decision making process. It is part of what we have been talking about. She wants to know what I think. I told her I just want her to live. I told her I just want her to survive. I know it's traumatic for a woman to loose her breasts, but as man, I can never really know. She is only thirty-eight. There are women even younger than her who are facing this.

She knows how lucky she is, early detection and all. She also knows that much of what they found did not show up in the scans or the ultrasound. It did not show up in the mammogram or the core biopsy. Most of what they found showed up when they examined and tested the tissue that they removed during her lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago.

Oh One. Oh one hell of a day. Many more to come I'm sure. She will lead the way.



Hey Tommy.......Yeah. Drive on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home