Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day. Today. D-Day. The Day.

Finished up work down at The Dock at 0030 hours. After a shave and a shower, some eggs and lots of coffee, we left for Pittsburgh at 0340. We arrived at 0510. They checked her in. I stayed with her until they threw me out.

I went around the corner to Ritter's Diner and stuffed myself on corn beef hash, eggs over easy, home fries, sausage and rye toast. More coffee and coffee to go. A Rocket Fuel Breakfast.

Left Ritter's at 0725. Drove back up South Aiken and hung a left at Fifth. Washington Boulevard (Rt. 8) back to the Highland Park Bridge then north on 28 with the classic rock blasting over the radio through the two good speakers in my old Jeep.

Heart. "Crazy On You". The long play album version with that great acoustic intro took me past The Mills. The Wilson sisters. Damn. Is there guy my age out there who didn't have teenage dreams about the Wilson Sisters? And Stevie Nicks too.

Route 85. South Mahoning Township, Indiana County. Is that house teal? It looks like a swimming pool. Maybe it's me. I'm tired. Those hills sure are pretty. Rolling, like waves. When the dandelions turn to seed it will look like white caps on those waves.

Journey. "Wheel In The Sky". And it keeps on turning. Loud obnoxious morning drive adds and sports updates that I care nothing about. I need music to keep my brain from spinning out of control. The Seek Button. Three clicks and Steely Dan. That's better.

Got home and slept for a couple hours. Called the hospital for an update at 1300 hours. I had to give them my P.I.N. for patient information. She's still in surgery.

1410 hours. Her surgeon just called me. He's done with his part and the plastic surgeon's team is now on the job doing their reconstruction thing. The doctor who just called, the main doctor, oncologist/surgeon said everything went well. No surprises. She's been on the operating table for well over six hours now. The doctor said it will be a couple more hours before it's done. The doctor said that the biopsy results of the remaining lymph nodes that he removed this morning will take about a week to come back. He said he didn't see anything obvious.

I need more coffee. I need a hell of a lot more coffee. I'm going to go drink as much coffee as I can between now and 1510 hours when I pick the younger baby girl up at the bus stop. The older baby girl is at work. She will be home before I leave for work. The doctor will call me at work or on my cell phone.

I will go back to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning to bring her some things that she will need for her stay at the hospital. She will be knocked out until tomorrow anyway. I'll take the girls down to see her over the weekend. She should be able to come back home on Monday.

Always.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Old Bag said...

Squarehead, your writing packs a punch. I hope all comes out well.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

Thanks TOB.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home