Sunday, August 06, 2006

Trains.

That was stupid. Titled the post, hit enter instead of tab. That's why this thing has an edit feature, it's for me.

We bought this old car a couple years ago, a 1981 BMW. Didn't buy it 'cause it's a BMW, it was cheap and available. Comes in handy as a second car, four cylinder five speed, gets good mileage. Needs a couple things fixed, this guy at work has a shop behind his house. He's a truck mechanic by trade, does side work at home. I dropped the car off at his place the other day, today I went to the dock to see him, he's working today. It will be fun, hanging out working on that old car, good to get out of the house sometimes. We start on Tuesday.

On my way back got stuck at a RR crossing near the dock, they were hooking up cars. Back and forth the line of freight cars ran. Bang, each time they hooked up, back and forth. Three diesel engines pushed and pulled, fifteen minutes before traffic starts moving again. Had the Jeep shut off, key in the accessory position, windows down and radio on. Two cigarettes and a can of Coke, lost in thought to the classic rock station. This must be my mid-life crisis, I think to myself. Never did like red convertibles, don't play golf and have no interest in having an affair. All that stuff that men are supposed to do. Longing for an old Harley, reminiscing 'bout days gone by, worrying about days still to come.

Maybe that's all this is. I want to be a writer, right now it seems like a load of self indulgent crap. Maybe this is my mid-life crisis, or not. I'm gonna check my lottery ticket, I bought one the other day. Then I'm gonna hang out with my daughter, goof out with the dogs, make fun of the parrot.

Hey Tommy, it's been a couple of days I know. Was thinking about you before. Didn't you have relatives who worked the railroad? That would have been a good job for you, maybe not. Probably would have climbed up top as the train went over a river and jumped, just to see what would happen. You would have made it though, would have been a great story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home