Thursday, July 19, 2007

Nine Bucks.

So last week was Friday The Thirteenth. My wife comes home from work a little after eight in the morning, she works third shift remember. So she's tired, asks me to drive her to the bank so she can cash her check and make a deposit. She said we should buy some lottery tickets because it's Friday The Thirteenth. We rarely buy lottery tickets, sucker bet. So she had a bunch of overtime so I go in the store and get a bunch of those scratch off tickets. She wins twenty-one dollars on three different plays. I also bought a Powerball ticket, with the Power Play. Turns out I matched one number plus the Powerball, the Power Play was three. I won nine bucks in cold hard cash. Seven is the net 'cause the ticket cost two. So me and her are trying to figure out what to do with this windfall. She left me a list on the kitchen counter a couple days ago. I was still sleeping when she got home from work.....

So I'm at the market, filling the cart with the listed items, plus a couple extras that I know we just had to have. After I pay I turn over my store cash card. It's a promo deal, they punch the card based on the dollar amount spent. When the card is full you scratch off the logo in the center and see if you won a cash prize. It's a given that you'll win at least a buck, you could win up to a grand. I won five bucks, pretty cool. So I'm preparing to exit the facility, this so called "supermarket"......... What's so super about it anyway? I mean it can't bend mighty rivers, maybe it could stop a bullet but a powerful locomotive would tear through those eight inch block walls................

Sorry about that, I'm all about ramblin' today. So I stop at the customer service counter and I turn in my winning Powerball ticket. The woman behind the counter asks me how I want it.
She actually said that. "How do you want it?"...She was attractive, late thirties maybe forty. I quickly realized that she was talking about my lottery winnings, the nine bucks I was due. Not being a regular lottery player I'm unfamiliar with the lingo.............

"Nobody hipped me to that dude"...... I love Pee-Wee.

So, I decide to purchase five dollars worth of lottery tickets. I bought a Cash-5, a Match-6 and of course another Powerball with the Power Play. I'm still ahead as far as my winnings go. The Cash-5 drawing already occurred, I think the Match-6 is tonight and the Powerball is Saturday night. I'm going to wait until Sunday before I go to the official PA Lottery website and check my numbers. It would be something wouldn't it? I know it ain't going to happen but it would be something. If I don't win anything than I'll wait before I buy any more lottery tickets. Like I said, it's a sucker bet. It is fun, but it's a sucker bet.

Hey Tommy, nothin' yet bro........Yup, same old. Hey man, my daughter was tellin' me about this website where you can buy all these t-shirts with stuff about Jersey on them. We might get a couple. I'm gonna get this one that reads "Put Down The Gun And Pick Up The Cannoli"...........
They also got one that says "Jersey, At Least It Ain't Pennsylvania". Now I have to wear that one to work down on The Dock......Hey bro. You remember havin' Taylor Ham that time right? Yeah, when my sister brought it with her when she came to visit me that time........That's right baby, Taylor egg and cheese with sliced tomato and SPK....Salt pepper and ketchup, on those Portuguese rolls.....You know it. So they got t-shirts just say "Taylor Egg And Cheese", can you dig it?.........Yup, pork roll is what it's called. "John Taylor's Pork Roll" from Trenton New Jersey.......I know, I can't believe it either. Nobody knows what the hell you're talkin' about it. Hey, my buddy Beetus down in Tampa, they can get it there now, for the last two or three years maybe......Yeah, Taylor Ham, a diner staple. That's another thing, friggin' diners that close at night. I ain't never seen nothin' like it. My old neighborhood? Like where me and my wife grew up? You got twenty-four-seven diners on like every corner. Here? They got this new coffee shop closes at five in the afternoon. Now how the hell you supposed to make any money closing at five in the afternoon? And they never heard of Taylor Ham!...........I know, I know. I'm doin' that thing again...........Yeah, that's the thing. Hey I got shit to do bro. I'll see you around, alright?........Yeah, how you doin' too.........Yeah........Oh hey Tommy. You gotta hear this last one........No man, a t-shirt sayin'. It goes like this. "Pass the Fuckin' Ziti"......I know, ain't that the best? Oh hey, one more than I gotta run. "New Jersey. Yeah, We Hate You Too"............
See ya Tommy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

Squarehead,
Congrats on the win. It's the little things in life that give us the most dividends.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home