Tuesday, June 30, 2009

".......please call......"

The answering machine was flashing. The message was not good. I called. My sister said he died at 11:00 AM on that Friday. I didn't say anything. I just told her I would be there soon. I left about two hours later. Five hours after that I was at my mother's house in Jersey.

The funeral home had already taken him away. My mother was glad to see me. She cried and I held her for a few minutes. Her husband of fifty eight years, my father, was finally at peace. He fought hard. He fought to the end. His stubborn refusal is to be admired. His last lesson to his children and grandchildren was never give up. Never give in. Never let the bastards, or death make the rules.

Hey Tommy. Yeah, almost three months since I've written a damn thing. My wife is okay. She's doing better than she was. She's in North Carolina with the girls. Our friends have a place on the Outer Banks. I couldn't go. Couldn't get this week off. Besides, it's better this way. Just Momma and the girls. It's good for all of them. I have to take care of the dogs and the birds. I'm going to write in some detail later today.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your father. I'm glad your wife is okay. I was worried. E

PS. My father also died after a long battle. Wouldn't give in till he was good and ready. It still sucked.

11:26 PM  
Blogger whatnext said...

sorry about your dad. my mom died two weeks ago. not fighting. she was 89 and just so worn out.

i have been wondering about how your wife is. i hope well. i hope VERY well.

since i took down my Foma blog, I had to get a new name. but i am still...

Okay

7:21 AM  
Blogger Just Me said...

It's been a while since you've posted. I hope everything is okay.

2:45 PM  
Blogger fishy said...

I was just noticing the date of this post is late June ... now we are just days away from Thanksgiving so how are you faring? I fear I will be familiar with this life event soon. My Mother is in a fight she cannot win, but refuses to accept. When her doc gave her the , " medicine has done all it can for you" speech my Mom looked that doctor in the eye and said, " I pray for you every day. I believe in miracles and I invite you to join me." They didn't ever expect her to make it out of the hospital and yet.... it looks like she will have one more Thanksgiving and maybe one more Christmas birthday

I hope you, and your family are peaceful and I wish you a very blessed Thanksgiving,

5:45 PM  
Blogger Squarehead said...

has been some time since 've been on here. Thank you Anon, um, and fishy. Fishy I hope all is well with your mother. As well as it can be given the situation.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home